Friday, June 22, 2007

The 'Dork' Factor...

I work on digital house plans a lot at my job so I download books on tape and listen while I work. I 'read' about 2-3 books a week.

The lovely volunteers at the local library know my name and they smile and wave whenever I come in to check out my weekly stash of books.

As I borrowed three new books yesterday, a librarian approached me...

'Hey Rebekah, you know, you're in here so much you should join our book club!' She said with a smile.

'Uhh' I stumbled.



Did I want to cement my status as a nerd?

As if being a film major and a card carrying member of the blogosphere isn't bad enough!?

Did I want to add 'book club member' to my lengthening list of geeky attributes?


I was about to say no thanks but she quickly blurted, 'We have a $40 gift card as part of a raffle at the end of summer!'




Hmm. Maybe now I can get that 'Jacobean Visions: Webster, Hitchcock and Google Culture' series - a study that underscores the interdisciplinary thematic concerns between Renaissance Drama, the cinema of Alfred Hitchcock and contemporary digital culture - I've been saving for.

Shoot.

Did I just say that?



Book Club Member.

Add it to the list.






When all else fails...

Blame my mother.




A very happy weekend to all of you. Chris and I are heading up to Palm Springs this afternoon with our church for a retreat.

That's not geeky right?!?!

2 comments:

Lizzie M. said...

Blame it on mom?!? Need I remind you which one of our parents wore plaid with stripes (ok, I know it is trendy now...)
Although, mom is often seen with only one shoe on, so I guess it could be a toss up :-)!

As for the resort, definitely not nerdy, unless you play scrabble or something of that nature while there.

TheFitnessFreak said...

If you can't beat 'em, you might as well join 'em!