Monday, February 12, 2007

Aha! So that’s a half swing!!...




I finally got to try out my new set of golf clubs this weekend. We were limited to chipping last week and I found myself increasingly frustrated as my golf balls continued to glide/chunk across the ground and not loft as they should – you know, as they would have had I had been doing it correctly.

This week we started practicing our half swing and let me tell you somethin’… I rock at the half swing.

SMACK!! Went my club to the ball, the ball lifting just as it should, and dropping perfectly straight from where I hit it.

After 4 or 5 in a row I heard the teacher yelling, ‘Perfect! Great hit!’ from a distance away. I assumed he was talking to someone else so I just kept right on going. ‘HEY!! PINK HAT!!’ he yelled sounding somewhat annoyed. My head (fitted in a soft pink SDSU hat) snapped up in attention, ‘Great job’ he said, ‘Keep ‘em going just like that!!’

And I did… with a huge grin on my face.

After hitting 15 or so balls I went to grab more and carefully carried them in my arms trying my best not to spill. I cautiously laid them on the ground and a perfectly square pile – logos facing up of course. As I was cleaning my club the instructor walked up to me and said, ‘You have the perfect personality for this sport.’

‘Um thanks?’ I said.

He continued, ‘You want to know how I know?’

‘Sure?’ I answered (yes, there was a question mark after everything I said… I was confused).

‘You have amazing ball handling skills. You are gentle with them. People who are gentle with them show patience. You are a patient person’ He finished.

I wanted to tell him the real reason. I wanted to say, ‘No, I’m simply obsessive compulsive. I like things the way I like them. In fact, I may be the least patient person you’ve met in your lifetime!’…

But I didn’t. I simply said, ‘Thanks’.

I love golf. I LOVE LOVE LOVE golf!

1 comment:

Lizzie M. said...

Woohoo!! Welcome to the golf world. Your skills are sounding quite advanced, I never faired so well!! But just reading about it makes me want to go whack some balls.
Keep it up! Lizzie