Monday, February 4, 2008

And that’s when the cake turned to shoe rubber…

We threw an Anti-Super Bowl Party at our house yesterday. We figured, we hate the Patriots and we don’t particularly like the Giants, so let’s boycott the game and throw a party.

Chris spent the morning making 4 different seasoning rubs and mops for the chicken and brisket. He followed it with some amazing homemade BBQ sauce then threw all the meat on the smoker and cooked it for 3 hours until it practically melted in your mouth.

What did I make?

Two types of guacamole: ‘Mild’ and ‘Beg for Mercy’
Rosemary and Olive Oil Focaccia bread
Pound Cake with Sliced Raspberries and Strawberries
Crispy Garlic Potato Wedges
Sangria with Oranges, Green Apples, Strawberries, & Pineapple

Chris and I quickly realized we were a little overzealous in our efforts…

We soon ran out of dishes… and counter space.

When a friend asked for a bowl to make chili cheese dip, I had to pull out a weird crock container for lack of any clean bowl shaped objects.



Everything turned out great – except for the pound cake. The rock solid mass masquerading as my pound cake required a steak knife to penetrate its rubber shell. I wasn’t sure what went wrong in my baking process but I wasn’t about to let anyone see it. I quickly threw it in the trash, covered it with paper plates, and then spent the next two hours starting the following rumors:

a.) Wasn’t the pound cake delicious? Oh you didn’t get a piece? Those silly boys must have chowed down the whole thing before you got to it!

Or

b.) Wasn’t the pound cake delicious? You totally had a piece! I can’t believe you forgot. Maybe you should lay off the Sangria!



I would say the dishes were difficult and a pain but they weren’t bad. Turns out, I had some extra energy. I was kinda excited about a certain team being…

18 and 1.




Dear Tom Brady,

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Rebekah

5 comments:

Lisa Gunn Magnus said...

ok, you guy'shave totally hiding your cooking talents. I expect an awesome dinner when we come out in March.

Anonymous said...

Way to go GIANTS....or ANY team that beats the Pats!! Wohoo!! =)

TheFitnessFreak said...

Hmmmm, I don't think I received an invitation:( Maybe it was an oversight. Nah, I'm pretty hard to forget, blah, blah, blah, blah! As far as the Pats go, I was crying tears, NOT!!!!!

Lizzie M. said...

I'm flying out there next year. We didn't have any sort of goodies (the sangrias sounding best), just sickies.

Yea Giants!

Anonymous said...

p.s. Share your recipe for 'rubber cake". hee-hee! =)~